Sunday, July 6, 2014

It's the Little Things...

It's the little things that I love about Brady. He is one of the most creative, imaginative kids I have ever met. I love the fact that every time I call him to the table for a meal, he pretends we are in a restaurant and I am the cook and he is the customer.  Or sometimes he pretends we are on a cooking show and he is the judge. Or that every time he plays with legos, he asks me what he should build, and then pretends he works at the Lego Store and I am purchasing a set for my child. Or every time he has a ball in his hand, he is a member of the Seahawks, Mariners, Sounders or the Sonics and he is going for the last minute game winning goal.

I can't say that I am always appreciative, especially when we are in a rush (and he is lost in his little imaginative world, trying to coerce his siblings to play along) but I try to encourage it as much as possible. Nothing would make Brady happier that everyone playing along with one of his make-believe stories. For a person like me that does not have a brain that functions this way, it is amazing, albeit occasionally exhausting. Being part of a family of five, he has learned that if he gets interrupted (which is quite often) or he doesn't think you are listening, he'll just start his story over again.  He doesn't miss a beat, or get discouraged and his perseverance never wavers.

My wish is that he never loses this piece of his personality and he can find some way to share it with the world because it would be a shame to keep this much creativity bottled up.

This video shows yet another example of one of those little things that I love. The other day, Josh was sitting at our desk, which is outside (and within eyesight) of Brady's room.  Brady was on the floor playing with legos. Out of the blue, he looked at Josh, gave him a wink, and went right back to his lego building.  Now that he knows he can get a smile, it's become quite popular at our house.


No comments: