Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Rest In Peace Grandma

My Grandma, just 3 months shy of her 100th birthday, passed away this last week.


Although we lived in separate parts of the country for most of my life, we would visit frequently and as a child, Grandma and I were "pen pals" for several years. I still have some of her letters which I love to read from time to time. Her cards and letters were either written in cursive (which generally required my Mom to translate for me) or  typed on her typewriter. I will always think of my Grandma whenever I see a typewriter. One of my earlier memories was of my Grandma teaching me how to use a typewriter in the basement of their house and I loved practicing on it whenever we went to visit.

I also have fond memories of going to Cubs games at Wrigley Field (my Grandma loved the Cubs) and eating breakfast in their kitchen (we always had toast and cubed pineapple which we got to dip in sugar with toothpicks while watching the Today show on a small TV in their kitchen...seriously, a TV in the kitchen was just about the most awesome thing ever for a kid!)


My Grandma LOVED crossword puzzles and was very good at them.
She always had a crossword puzzle nearby.


Despite having a tough life, she was fighter and as my Mom would often say "tough as nails". She survived world wars, the great depression, cancer, the loss of 2 of her 3 kids, a grandchild, and her husband. She was determined, stubborn, funny and fashionable (I don't ever recall seeing her without a pair of pantyhose or a wearing a piece of jewelry). I will always remember the love she had for my Grandpa and how she seemed the happiest when her family and grandchildren were all together. I know she would have loved this picture of all of her grandchildren, which we took at her funeral.

I can only hope she is sitting in Heaven surrounded by all those that she lost too early in this life; with a completed crossword puzzle in one hand and a glass of Sherry in the other. Rest in peace Grandma.

No comments: